Friday, June 10, 2011

Attention Web Site Owners/Operators/Designers

This was posted by IGnatius T Foobar, sysop of Uncensored BBS. I thought it deserved repeating here:

Attention web site operators: you are a douchebag if  you do either of these things:

1. You accept logins with OpenID/Twitter/Fecesbook/AOL/Google but *still* require that I go through your site registration process.  These are intended to be single click sign in methods.  If I put in my OpenID and then see a huge site registration form to fill out, I close the browser window; you're not worth it.
 
2. If I try to close your site and see a pop-up saying "Are you sure you want to navigate away from this page?" it had better be because I'm logged into an application that would leave my data insecure if I didn't properly log out.  If you're selling something and I navigate away because I'm not interested, popping up a window that says "Wait!  This is a great offer and you don't want to miss it!" is the digital equivalent of blocking the exit with your fat sweaty self while I try to leave your store, and I'm going to digitally knock out your teeth with a fucking baseball bat if you don't get out of my way.

Thank you and make it a great day!

No comments :

Post a Comment